Used a Linux USB live boot disk to reset a password for client who had forgotten his (son’s) password. It took some time to find an empty USB drive, download the latest Ubuntu live boot iso file, copy it to the USB, make it bootable on another computer, then to boot up the problem laptop with the new USB boot drive, just install the chntpw utility program, and then use it to remove/unset the unknown password .. easy peasy.
I will add further detailed how to notes here when time permits 🙂
p.s. or .. just reinstall Ubuntu overtop that pesky Windows program like I do!
Posted a comment on J’s https://whatmayflowersbring.wordpress.com/2017/01/22/first-journal-entry/ blog entry (my son in law and family – living far away in Italy for the next few years). Thought to myself, this will be just like having my mom posting on my own social media news feeds. Ha Ha. However, thankful to be connected today with family via the world wide internet. They have been able to call us from time to time via Skype but other than that we have had to be content with following them a bit on facebook and instagram .. everyone is growing up so fast!
FYI: If you can assist us in the installation of the new fishpond playground equipment, we are planning to be there starting the evening of Thu 30 May 2013 at 6pm (for unpacking and layout), all day Fri 31 May 2013 9am+ (drilling holes and equipment assembly), in the morning on Sat 1 Jun about 9am (for final preparations and cement) and Sat afternoon (for gravel installation). The official ribbon cutting will be held in July as part of the town celebrations.
Please email us if you are planning to attend so we can get a bit of a head count .. thanks! rdavies
Magrath Lions Club magrathlions.com is organizing the upcoming Magrath and District Community Food Drive with much help from local Church groups. Collection day is Sat 27 Apr 2013 from 9-noon! Thanks to everyone for all the great support!
I read this on the net the other day and said, hmm I wonder if it works: “Websites are now free for all Canadian businesses. If you’re a business owner without a website, you probably have a good reason for it. Maybe you thought it was too expensive or took too much time? Maybe you were overwhelmed by the technology and didn’t know where to start? Canada Get Your Business Online is a new program that provides businesses a fast, free, and easy way to get online. Google is investing in Canadian businesses by creating gybo.ca and by paying for your .ca domain registry for 12 months. Yola is providing you with hosting, their leading site building tool, and support.”
Sure, I thought. Although, Google has much to gain by having more businesses online to purchase their services .. so, I gave it a whirl.
1) Free .ca domain name (for first year – thereafter about $30/yr). It only took a few minutes to select and submit magrath-ab.ca and then simply answered a phone call to my number confirming I lived in Canada. Done. Never had to give any credit card information.
2) Hosted by Yola.com website .. also free (for first year – thereafter up to $10/mo). Selected a template (basic) and added an applet (a link to my tumblr blog aka ssdirect.tumblr.com). Previewed and Published. Easy.
3) A while later the website was live on the internet. Wow.
Of course, now they would like to sell us on their ‘other services’ such as: ” To increase your marketing reach, you might consider:
• AdWords – Target customers locally or anywhere in the world. Pay only for ads that bring prospects to you.
• Google Base – Add your entire catalog to our free product search site.
• Google Checkout – Sell online with Google Checkout and increase sales by driving more traffic and higher conversions.
Maybe later ..